Tuesday, May 08, 2007

6 Fingers on each hand ... still can't pitch


Despite one of my previous posts, I have still been watching the Phillies. Unfortunately it's just not summer unless I'm sitting in front of the TV listening to Harry Kalas and watching the Phillies blow a lead in the eigth inning. That a guy 12 fingers is blowing the lead just makes it all the better. More polydactyly fun after the jump.

First of all, I am by no means blaming Phillies reliever Antonio Alfonseca for all the Phillies problems this season, there's plenty of blame to go around, and around and around and around. But, Alfonseca does stick out like a sore thumb, er sixth finger. When he comes onto the field, he looks more like my my dad than a major league pitcher. I know basball has had it's fair share of seemingly out-of-shape players, but do you think maybe that beer gut has something to do with his 4.86 ERA?

In the last three games Alfonseca has an ERA over 20.00, and last year his ERA was 5.63. So why is he employed still? I think it's because, year after year, he leads the major's in one very under-reported category.

No comments: