Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Comcast Sportsnet ... why have you forsaken me?


Being a Philadelphia sports fan here in Central Pennsylvania is tough. Although State College is essentially in the middle of the state, most people here associate themselves with Pittsburgh and their teams. By the way, I happen to agree with Sienna Miller on that city. In fact, the Pirates Single A Baseball team, the Spikes, play right on Penn State's campus. And their AA team, the Altoona Curve, is only about 30 minutes away. So when Comcast took over as the cable provider earlier this year, I was thrilled when the rumors of getting Comcast Sportsnet on my cable system. But I turned it on last night to watch the Flyers/Mapleleafs match, and all I saw was a blank screen. Now I'm just confused.

It started out by getting CN8, which is an odd channel in itself. Have you ever looked at the scroll on the bottom of their screen, it gives you the worst information, but I digress. It was nice to see some old favorites, Arthur Fennel and some of the guys from WIP, but what happened to Lou Tilley?
Anyway, a couple of months ago, I turned on what used to be the TV Guide Channel and there, in all it's glory was Comcast SportsNet. I was thrilled to see Michael Barkann and Daily News Live, Leslie Gudel and SportsNite. It was even good to see Dei Lynam and her monotone voice.

But now, with the Philles season here, I'm worried that I'm going to miss almost all of their games. I'm already definitely going to miss the few games that are on Philly 57, but now do I have to worry about the ones on CN8 and SportsNet too?

Hey Barkann! You're on that network like 24 hours a day, do something about this!