Tuesday, April 03, 2007

I want my...I want my...I want my American Gladiators


Its funny when you're growing up and you hear your parents make some reference to something from their childhood coming back into style. "Oh, we used to wear jeans like that when I was your age, they're nothing new." I always took it as a bad thing, like a sign of getting older. But with old childhood favorites like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles claiming the top spot at the box office a couple of weeks ago, and more importantly, the new Transformers movie coming out this summer, its apparent, everything from my childhood is popular again. So, where's American Gladiators?

If you're not familiar with it, American Gladiators was perhaps the best show in the history of television. I'm not exaggerating. It was a game show where two men and two women competed against each other and more importantly against the American Gladiators, who had such names as Nitro, Gemini, Lace (my favorite at 11 years old) and Ice.

They would compete in events like Joust, where they would knock each other off tall platforms, and Powerball where they would have to go against three Gladiators and slam colored balls into corresponding bins, without getting their heads taken off by a Gladiator. Think of it as the Real World/Road Rules Challenge without all the annoying people.

One of the amazing things is Ex-NFL players Larry Csonka, Joe Theismann and Todd Christensen were hosts on the show. Thank God various incarnations of ESPN have saved former NFLers from that fate these days.

Well, it's back. Ok, no new episodes, but the reruns are now being shown on ESPN Classic. Not that I get that channel, so it does me no good. Even if you were never a fan of the gladiators, it's got to be better than the Classic Car Auction.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha thats great. I love watching reruns of American Gladiators. I hope it comes to your area!

Anonymous said...

You got your wish. Mondays at 8 ET/ 7 CT on NBC.

It's about time we get some good TV shows back on the air.